Thursday, January 28, 2010

Le Canard, Le Canard, l'Oie....

Duck, Duck, Goose...

So as some of you may know my favorite food in the whole world is foie gras ...

Foie Gras - (pronounced /fwaːˈgraː/ in English; French for "fat liver") is the liver of a duck or goose that has been specially fed. Foie gras is a popular and well-known delicacy in French cuisine. Its flavour is described as rich, buttery, and delicate, unlike that of a regular duck or goose liver. Foie gras is sold whole, or is prepared into mousse, parfait, or pâté (the lowest quality), and may also be served as an accompaniment to another food item, such as steak or salad. In fact, French law states that "Foie gras belongs to the protected cultural and gastronomical heritage of France."

As you all may also know during my last trip to Surfas in Culver City I acquired 3 slices of foie gras. Though it's my favorite I've never had it anywhere but in restaurants. So this was my chance to create my favorite dish at home!!!!!

TIME TO COOK!


Challenges:
foie gras is super temperamental, you can freeze it and it will keep but, when you start to handle it the meat becomes weak. Think about butter, the more you handle it, the more it melts; which is what happens with foie gras. The parallel continues when you add heat, foie gras melts super fast...

1st attempt 1/26/10
So my first attempt didn't go very well. I blame it on me being so excited. I forgot to salt and pepper my medallion of foie gras before i threw it in the pan, it's a simple gesture but so important. My pan was definitely hot enough for a sear but i think that the medallion had been sitting at room temperature too long. As soon as the piece hit the pan it melted down to a very small piece. One recipe said to add butter if this happened but that really didn't help...Fail!
Once i got it out of the pan the foie gras had a bitter taste due to burning and just not being seasoned....Fail....soo sad!

2nd attempt 1/27/10
This time I focused on the searing. I'm convinced its the key to cooking such a delicate piece of meat. I made sure to generously salt and pepper the medallion as well as score the top and bottom so the heat could penetrate and caramelize in to nice crust on the surface. I made sure the pan was extremely hot but this time I turned the actual burner off during cooking. 50 seconds on both sides then 10 and 10 and..................... SUCCESS!!!
Though it wasn't the all time best foi gras it was so good because I made it! It had that smooth buttery taste that only foie gras can have... the true experience of umami.... I'm totally in my happy place!



Other culinary highs of the day:

I stopped by the Empanada's Place and picked up 2 yummy empandadas. At $2.99 each these little argentinian pies are such a yummy treat. They have 16+ different options, I tried the Spicy Cheesey Beef & Lemon Herb Beef! Sooo good ... When ever you want a yummy snack check it out!




My co-worker Jordan (waves at Jordan) is a foodie...and what does a foodie do when they are bored? They either watch a food show on tv, eat (of course), or cook something! And Jordan chose to cook his famous Carrot Cake Cookie Pies!!! THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!

They are very addictive and I suggest everyone try them next time you are bored!


  • 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup coarsely grated carrots (2 medium)
  • 1 scant cup walnuts (3 ounces), chopped
  • 1/2 cup raisins (2 1/2 ounces) -Can be left out!
  • 8 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup honey

Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 2 baking sheets.

Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Beat together butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in carrots, nuts, and raisins at low speed, then add flour mixture and beat until just combined.

Drop 1 1/2 tablespoons batter per cookie 2 inches apart on baking sheets and bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are lightly browned and springy to the touch, 12 to 16 minutes total. Cool cookies on sheets on racks 1 minute, then transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.

While cookies are baking, blend cream cheese and honey in a food processor until smooth.

Sandwich flat sides of cookies together with a generous tablespoon of cream cheese filling in between.


DON'T FORGET ABOUT DINE LA!!!!There is alot of yummy food out there, so get to eating!!!

http://discoverlosangeles.com/play/dining/restaurantweek/aapart2010.jsp



<3

NomNom

No comments:

Post a Comment